I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
What You Need To Know About Carbon Monoxide Detectors And Who Needs Them?
Everyone needs them ,The majority of homes have smoke and fire detectors ,which is a vry good idea. however a very small percent have carbon Monoxide deyector which is alarming. Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless toxic flammable gas formed by incomplete combustion of carbon.
carbon monoxide poisoning A potentially fatal condition caused by inhalation of carbon monoxide gas which competes favorably with oxygen for binding with hemoglobin and thus interferes with the transportation of oxygen and carbon dioxide by the blood.It can be hard to know if you have carbon monoxide poisoning. The same symptoms can be caused by flu or other problems. In the winter months, doctors may suspect carbon monoxide poisoning in people who complain of severe headache, nausea, or dizziness.
How My Client got piosoned in an all-electric home ?
Several years ago ,I went on a listing appt and the reason the homeowner was selling her home is because she had Carbon Monoxide Posining . She was one of the lucky ones,if it hadnt been for her kids that was expecting her to go shopping with them that day , she would have DIED! Yes she had an all electric house .
True Story About CO poisionig in all Elcetric House
It was one evening a couple of weeks before Christmas when she and her grandson came home from seeing santa. They were busy talking about Christmas and the cookies that they where going to bake when they got inside . After they made the cookies,,she was feeling a little tired and had a headache ,just thinking she was wore out from a fun filled day with her grandson. Eva went to sleep early and the grandson stayed up to play video games .
Well the next day when they were late in meeting Eva’s daughter ,she didnt think to much about it . So she called with no answer . After an hour went by the daughter called the neighbors and they said nobody was answering the door . Well they thought if something happened to Eva ,grandson is there to call 911. Daughter lived about an hour away ,so she took off to go see if maybe they just had car trouble along the way . Before she got there neighbor called and said poch light was still on and living room lights were on. Well knowing how paticular she was about saving energy , the daughter was worried and called 911. The police and paremedics arrived and no one answered the door. So they broke down the door to find grandson still passed out on the couch and Eva still in bed . They had already passed out from Carbon monoxide posioning . Paramedics said in another hour or two this would have been a whole different ending.
You remember when I said the two were preoccupied when getting out of the car . Grandma forgot to turn the car off. Say you’re not old and would never forget, well think again because know our phones keep us so preoccupied that a simple thing like turning off the car is easy to forget. Have you listened to some of the new cars running , they are so quite now . People forget their babies a in the back seat for goodness sake . have you ever starting cooking something and forgot that until you smelled it burning. Well Carbon Monoxide is odorless and colorless.
Every year, 20,000 to 30,000 people in the United States are sickened by accidental carbon monoxide poisoning and approximately 500 people die, many in their own home.
Carbon Monoxide Sources in the Home
Having a detector in every home with fossil fuel burning appliances is a must. Ideally, a detector should be present on each level of the home. There are established, specific distances applicable to the proper placement of CO detectors.
In simple terms, CO is produced whenever a material burns. Homes with fuel-burning appliances or attached garages are more likely to have CO problems Common sources of CO in our homes include fuel-burning appliances and devices such as:
- Clothes dryers
- Water heaters
- Furnaces or boilers
- Fireplaces, both gas and wood burning
- Gas stoves and ovens
- Motor vehicles
- Grills, generators, power tools, lawn equipment
- Wood stoves
This short video imparts some very good tips to ensure your home is in compliance.
For more useful information about Carbon Monoxide